Print Attachments from a Procedure
To print files (e.g., attachments) from within a procedure, include the PREXFILE program in an SQLI step. The PREXFILE program receives several parameters:
- If you want to send the attachments directly to the default printer, add the flag ‘-d'. If you want to choose a printer, leave this parameter empty.
- The program can receive two optional parameters (CHAR type), which receive any description that should appear on a cover page, to be printed together with the attachment. If both parameters are empty, no cover page will be printed.
- The program receives a linked table (STACK24 table, FILE type) which receives the file path(s) of the document(s) to be printed and the order in which multiple documents should be printed. This table contains the following columns:
- SORT_LINE — Determines the printing order of the documents.
- TEXT1 — The full path and name of the file to be printed.
Examples: To create a new Action from the Sales Orders form, which prints any documents that are attached to the order, include an INPUT step with a PAR parameter of LINE type. In the procedure, record the following in the SQLI step:
SELECT SQL.TMPFILE INTO :STK FROM DUMMY; LINK ORDERS TO :$.PAR; ERRMSG 1 WHERE :RETVAL <= 0; LINK STACK24 TO :STK; ERRMSG 1 WHERE :RETVAL <= 0; INSERT INTO STACK24(SORT_LINE,TEXT1) SELECT EXTFILES.EXTFILENUM, EXTFILES.EXTFILENAME FROM EXTFILES, ORDERS WHERE EXTFILES.IV = ORDERS.ORD AND EXTFILES.TYPE = 'O' AND EXTFILES.EXTFILENUM > 0 AND ORDERS.ORD <> 0; UNLINK STACK24; UNLINK ORDERS;
To send the documents and cover page to the default printer, continue the above code as follows:
EXECUTE PREXFILE '-d', 'description 1', 'description 2', :STK;
To open a window to choose a printer from which to print the documents and cover page, use the following code instead:
EXECUTE PREXFILE 'description 1', 'description 2', :STK;
To send the documents to default printer without a cover page, use the following code instead:
EXECUTE PREXFILE '-d', '','', :STK;
Click for information on additional advanced programming tools.